Grilling is a direct cooking method in which food is cooked on a grill. A grill is an outdoor cooking appliance that consists of an iron grate over a flame, fueled by gas or charcoal. If necessary, a grill pan heated on a stove top can also be used in place of an outdoor grill.
Difficulty to learn: Medium
Some Thoughts For You:
Grilling is common in the summer months of the world, but if you have an indoor grill or are just impervious to the cold, it can be a year round cooking method. Meats, fish, vegetables, and even fruit can be grilled.
The hottest areas of the grill can be used to sear foods, to create the dark grill marks on the food. The hottest areas of a grill can vary based off of your model, so feel free to experiment a little!
Alternately, the cooler areas of the grill can be used for quicker cooking items and to warm rolls or buns.
Delicate foods, such as fish, can be grilled in foil that is sealed in a packet or on cedar planks which have been soaked in water
Vegetables and meats can be grilled on skewers.
What You Will Need:
Grilling can be an investment with a large propane powered device, but you can also get some throwaway ones for cheap from your local grocery store.
You will need:
- A grill or grill pan.
- A grilling spatula and grilling tongs (depending on what you are grilling).
- Grilling mitts.
- Totally optional stuff depending on your recipe: foil, kabobs, cedar plank that has been soaked in water.
The following steps apply for grilling some zucchini:
- Heat your grill or grill pan to medium high.
- While the grill is heating, wash and dry two large zucchini squashes.
- Trim their stems and root sides, then discard them.
- Slice them lengthwise into long ribbons.
- Season with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Once the grill is heated, carefully place your zucchini on the grill, diagonal to the grates.
- Grill about 2 minutes on first side, then flip and grill 1 minute more.
- Remove from heat and serve your grilled zucchini hot or at room temperature.
Tips For You:
- Grill your favorite foods to add flavor without calories!
- For a simple and satisfying summer desert:
- Slice peaches in half and remove the pit.
- While the grill is still hot, place the peach slices inside down on the grill, and cook them until they are slightly caramelized (about 3 minutes).
- Remove them from the heat and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.